Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Nemo, shmemo.

(credit: Facebook "Winter Storm Nemo" page)


As the title states - Nemo shmemo.  Okay, okay maybe THE Blizzard of 2013 was, well kind of a big deal. Okay, it was a big deal as it pretty much crippled the city for a few days and enabled us "adults" (notice quotes here) to have a SNOW DAY!!!!!! 

Knowing that even if Nemo didn't turn out to be a blizzard he would still create a slippery slushy mess of the sidewalks with the impending snowfall. Now I'm a fan of the slip & slide (TWSS) but more when it is like this:
(credit: Sears.com)

And less when it is like this:
(credit: thechirunner.blogspot.com)
Since I had an 18 miler on tap for the weekend I felt that it would be better to do the run before the storm hit. Not knowing when it would get truly bad I set out for my run with money and T pass (subway pass) just "in case." I also planned my run along the Boston marathon course as the terrain was "rolling" and because it runs along the public transport line. 

It was snowy and windy but not too bad for the "out" portion of my "out & back." I made the turn around nine miles in with ease - piece of cake. But then I turned around. As I headed back over Heartbreak hill the wind was starting to get to me. The snow was pelting my face so hard I felt that I had a free microderm abrasion facial. All of this was fine and dandy but I was starting to loose feeling in my fingers. Despite curling my fingers up in my gloves I could not bring circulation or heat back to my fingers - this made carrying my water slightly challenging. I convinced myself that I could tough it out but once I got to Cleveland circle I decided to call it "a day."

I only got 12.75 miles of my planned 18 miles but given the quality of the streets the following day I am happy to have gotten this run in!

Check out my video of my "Nemo" Blizzard pics here:

1 comment:

  1. 12.75 miles is nothing to sneeze at! great job! and nemo kicked our ass up here in maine too.

    ReplyDelete